Hello Eight! EIGHT! My daughter turns eight today!
I'm still in a bit of shock. Eight.
Moms of older children warn me about what I can expect. Attitude. Drama. Peer pressure.
You kidding? Apparently my kid's advanced. She had that at seven. "Oh no, no, no," they tell me. You've not seen anything yet.
Ok. So, maybe they're right. Maybe things will get more challenging. Here's what I know for sure.
- I know I'm going to do my best to be present and meet her where she's at, with whatever struggle she's got going on.
- I know I'm going to do my best to not take things personally. She's growing, and changing, and doing her best too.
- I know I'm going to do my best to continue to learn from her and ask that she learn from me.
- I know I'm going to do my best to be curious about her and her interests. Every. Single. Day.
- I know I'm going to love her unconditionally, no matter what she does or says.
It's cliché, but true...parenting is the hardest job on the face of the planet. Instead of expecting Eight to be more difficult and challenging than Seven, I'm just going to...
Be open to what comes.